Monday, June 22, 2009

Lessons From My Daddy

Okay, I am a day late posting - but that is because I was so busy celebrating Father's Day that I didn't have any time to write about it.

Yesterday (Father's Day), Pastor John gave a very sentimental message about his father and the lessons he learned from him. It was very touching, and made me think about my own father and the things I have learned from him. Here are a few (of the many) lessons I learned from my Daddy.

(no, that isn't me - that is Paige - but she looks enough like me and my sister that we can pretend that is a picture from my childhood)

Work Hard: My dad is a hard worker and has taught me that a little hard work never hurt anyone. No matter how privileged, the things worth having will not be given to you. You must earn them. And, he always taught me that anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Play Hard: My dad also knows how to have a good time. I am pretty sure I learned this lesson well :)

Family Matters: Even though my dad works hard, work does not consume his life. I played a lot of sports when I was younger, and my dad (and mom) was always in the stands watching and cheering and coaching. He even came to my high school chorus concerts - which I am sure were quite painful :) My dad was always up to going outside to shoot hoops or throw the softball with me. He video taped all of my HS volleyball games and made a 'highlights' video for me. He would proofread my English papers and make constructive comments. He would try to remember how to work those calculus problems :) Dad was always there to give words of encouragment, constructive criticism, and sound advice -- I hope that I am able to be there for my own kids like my dad was/is for me. (You too, Mom -- but this is Father's Day)

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff: My dad is very practical and takes a very practical approach to life. My dad taught me that nothing can be gained from worrying over something you cannot change. That does not mean that you don't care - it just means that you don't go nuts about it. Thus, my fairly calm approach to most situations (except when my child is really injured -- then I freak at first before I regain myself)

Don't Try to Keep Up With the Joneses: My dad was a great provider for our family. We always had a nice home, plenty of food, clothes that fit, and extra for recreation. But, I learned that labels don't really mean anything, other than they cost more. And I learned that one is usually enough, and that there is no need to buy a new one until the old breaks beyond repair (and my dad is the master of repairs!!)
Thank you Dad, for teaching me this lesson! I know far too many people who are having financial issues, or who are never content with what they have because they haven't learned this lesson.

The Secrets of the Remote: Okay, I haven't quite mastered this one yet - but I think my husband has!!

And, speaking of my husband, I would be remissed if I didn't talk about the father of my children on Father's Day.

Jonathan is not only the love of my life, he is the wonderful, loving, caring, father of my children. In a lot of ways, Jonathan is like my dad (hey, they say boys marry their mothers - surely then, girls marry their fathers). Jonathan is a hard worker who knows how to have fun; he is creative and clever; he is kind and cares for others; he is firm, but fair.

Our children adore Jonathan. They can't wait for him to get home so they can wrestle and tickle and giggle uncontrollably.

They also respect him and look up to him. They can't wait to show daddy their latest accomplishment or newest trick.

Jonathan is such a great father. He is a man of God and he teaches that to our children. He doesn't just preach the Word, he lives the Word.

Here is a beautiful picture of Jonathan and kids before church on Father's Day.


Happy Father's Day to my hubby and to my daddy!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you sweetie. I love that picture of me and the kids. Man, our kids are good looking :)

    ReplyDelete