Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buddy Walk 2009!

The Northwest New Jersey Buddy Walk is Saturday, October 24, 2009. We plan to walk!

Last year, when we first signed up for the Buddy Walk, Anna was only 3 months old. We were still raw with emotion, and struggling to put Anna's diagnosis into perspective. I signed up so I could have a project - something positive to focus on, and to hopefully help take my mind off of the fear of Anna's future.

What I got was so much more. I hadn't even finished sending out my emails when my first donation rolled in . One of my good friends from college, Christie, didn't hesitate one minute to show her support for Anna and our family. It was so exciting to see such an automatic response - as if to say - 'Why didn't you ask sooner?'

Over the course of the next couple of weeks and months, the donations kept rolling in. And, our team was beginning to grow. I could only watch with amazement at the outpouring of love and support. I was humbled at the blessing that God was giving us.

The weather on the day of the walk was horrible. It was cold and pouring down rain. I questioned whether we should even be there with Anna since she had recently gotten out of the hospital with croup. But I am so glad that we went!

We had over 20 people from our team brave the elements to come walk with us. (I don't know how many people there were total) I met so many amazing people (parents, individuals w/ Ds, siblings, etc.) who gave me encouragement and hope. It was an all-around good time. And, God blessed us with a 30 minute window of no rain for us to walk!

When I went to bed that night - all I could think about how blessed we are to have Anna, and to have such supportive family and friends.

Over the past year, we have watched with amazement as Anna has progressed with her development; how she has worked hard in therapy; how she has struggled with a few health issues; but mostly, how she has blessed our lives and made our world a better place to live.

So, on Saturday, October 24, we will be walking in the Northwest New Jersey Buddy Walk to show our support for Anna, and the more than 350,000 individuals with Down syndrome in the United States. Every step we take, every dollar we raise, will help ensure that each individual with Down syndrome in the United States will be able to reach his or her full potential. Last year alone, over $9.5 million was raised nationwide for local and national education, research and advocacy programs.

Shortly, I will be sending out emails to friends and family, soliciting support. We are asking you to Buddy Walk with Anna to make a difference for people with Down syndrome in our community and help the National Down Syndrome Society create change nationwide. (If you are not someone I would regularly email, you can still give your support. There is a link below, and a link on the right-hand side of this blog)

The walk is less than a mile – so anyone can do it! Last year our team raised over $1200, and had over 20 people who walked on the Anna’s Banana Pants team. We expect to exceed both of those numbers this year!

Click on the Web site link to visit our Buddy Walk page and follow the 'My Team Page' link to join our team, Anna’s Banana Pants! It is a fun day with lots of activities for the kids, food, and live music. And, we top it off with a gathering back at our house.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support!
See you at the Northwest New Jersey Buddy Walk!

2008 Anna's Banana Pants team

Anna at her First Buddy Walk!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos... so glad you had a great first year turnout.

    ReplyDelete