Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Reflections From a Stressed Out Mama!

Ugh...it has been one of those days today. And, unfortunately, I have had a lot of them lately.

Today Charlie and Paige just about sent me over the roof (and it is only lunchtime). It was all I could do to control myself and not let loose on a yelling tirade like I really felt like doing. I am getting frustrated with them not getting along and/or not doing what I ask them to do.

Paige is in a world of her own most of the time. I tell her do something as simple as, 'Go get your pink flip-flops on', and when I come downstairs, she is playing with toys, still with no shoes on. I seriously have no idea what to do to motivate that girl to do what I ask when I ask her to do it. Taking away toys/privileges/etc. doesn't work. She laughs at punishment. She is not motivated by rewards or sticker charts. Basically, if it is not on her agenda - good luck getting it done without a fight.

Charlie is quickly becoming that aggravating older sibling. You know - the one that gives you the sneaky punch when Mom isn't looking, and therefore, can't really get into trouble because there is no proof. And then, Mom is angry with the younger sibling for whining and crying. It is a vicious cycle.

Anna is the sweet and innocent one of the bunch, but she has not been without aggravation the past couple of days. She has her front teeth coming in and they are really causing her to be quite fussy -- which is very unusual for her.

Add to that the stress of my husband being out of town M-Th each week and new health concerns for Anna and I am just about at my boiling point.

And, I as I was thinking about all of this, and how frustrating my kids are being, I couldn't help but wonder how God must see us (me), and how frustrating we must be to him. We are his children and he has rules that he wants us to follow. Yet, we break those rules over and over again. God asks us to do things, and we continue to ignore him and do what we please. God gives us so many blessings that we do not deserve, yet we continue to complain and be envious of others. And, despite all of our disobedience and childish behavior, God loves us unconditionally and continues to forgive us each time we sin.

So, I sit here, humbled by God's grace and love for us. Surely, I can muster up a little mercy and love for my own children, too. (Shouldn't be too hard -- they are darn stinkin' cute!) -- Just let them take a good nap first!

5 comments:

  1. I know the feeling very well! My two older girls love to push eachother's buttons. This of course starts the whining and yelling. Poor Mattie just stares at them like they are crazy.

    Hoping your day gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lori. I can't imagine doing the single parent thing most of the week. Ugh. I have a "Paige" personality around here, too, as well as bossy older sibling. :) Hang in there! Soon they will be bigger and you will wonder where the time went (at least that's what they tell me). I ask the Lord to help me delight in my children daily. I think it really helps.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you were in my house today only the names are different, lol.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all...thanks for visiting my blog...it was nice to find you. When was Anna born? Her and Ella seem pretty close in age. You mentioned that you live across the country...what state are you in? Secondly...I love this post you wrote about your frustrating day. It started off sounding like one of my days with my older two girls and then you finished your post with a bang!!! How insightful you are to realize that we are acting just like children every day when we disobey God. I just love what you wrote!! And I look forwar to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, I just saw that she was born April 15...they are only 2 weeks apart!! How fun!!

    ReplyDelete