Thursday, August 13, 2009

R.I.P. Eunice!

Before Anna, I probably would not have made any special note about the passing of Eunice Kennedy Shriver. Mainly because I never really thought about the Special Olympics as a part of my life before. I have always been aware of the Special Olympics, and have always admired the courage and strength of the Special Olympic athletes. But, it was never personal for me.

Silly me.

I soooooo look forward to the day when Anna is able to participate in the Special Olympics (If she wants to, of course...we won't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do). I wonder what her event will be? If there was Special Olympics for babies...right now, Anna would take the gold in "army crawling" and "the cup toss". =) Either way, we would like to become involved with the Special Olympics in some capacity; whether it be participating or volunteering.

Anyway - Thank you Eunice Shriver for having a big heart and seeing past the disabilities to the person inside. And thank you for giving a voice, and hope, and respect, and dignity, and acceptance, and dreams to so many who had been previously cast aside by society.

2 comments:

  1. She definitely made a big difference in the world. I didn't know of her either before Matthew was born. Another great example of how our babies make our world bigger from the time they are born. May Eunice's soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a job I had several years ago I talked on the phone with Eunice Shriver. Wish I would of known then what I know now and I would of thanked her. What she did will benefit our kids for years to come. Great post.

    ReplyDelete