Monday, September 28, 2009

Gifts 2: How People with Down Syndrome Enrich the World

It's on my Christmas list!

Shortly after Anna was born, my sister-in-law gave me a copy of Gifts: Mothers Reflect on How Children With Down Syndrome Enrich Their Lives . I don't know if I ever thanked her, but I should have many times over. It is such a book of inspiration and hope...especially for a mother (or father) who is struggling with the diagnosis of Down syndrome in her new baby. It was such a relief to read real-life stories about children with Ds, as opposed the scare-you-to-death clinical type reference books. I cried my way through most stories, and laughed through the rest. But, in each story, I could feel the love that these mothers had for their chromosomally enhanced children. And, with each story, I could feel the hope for Anna's future and ours.

Now they have come out with Gifts 2: How People with Down Syndrome Enrich the World. I am sooooo looking forward to reading it and rejoicing(and laughing, and crying) with each story. As an added bonus for me, I feel like I have come to know some of the contributors through the blogging and online world.

If you haven't read either of the Gifts books...pick one up today and be inspired!

2 comments:

  1. They should have asked you to write a chapter in the new book. You are such a good writer. I know how much Anna has enriched our lives...What a story we could tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gifts (#1) is the best thing for brand new moms who have a baby diagnosed w/ Ds. I've just started reading Gifts 2 which is cool, since I recognize so many families in it.

    ReplyDelete