Friday, September 4, 2009

Hope

Warning: This post could get a little emotional, so do not read if you do not have tissues nearby!

I woke up crying in the middle of the night last night. I was emotional about a little girl I never knew, and never will know. What little I knew about her, I read on her blog, Brianna Gives Hope.

Brianna had Edwards syndrome, or Trisomy 18. Unlike Down syndrome (Trisomy 21), T18 is most always fatal. The majority of T18 babies die before they are even born, and those that do miraculously live through childbirth usually only live a couple of days or weeks.

Brianna was a miracle beyond miracles. She lived to be almost 2.5 yrs!

I came across Brianna's blog back in March and have been following her story. Her parents are such great testimonies to God - giving Him all the glory. It broke my heart last night when I read that Brianna now has her angel wings.

We are blessed that Anna is healthy. She has an extra chromosome, but she is healthy - Praise the Lord! But, there are so many other children out there who are fighting the good fight. Some will prevail, but too many of them will not. I follow the stories of other bloggers (who I don't know, but feel like I do after following their stories) such as Jaxson and Zoey and Ashlyn. I pray for them, and I pray for their families. Sometimes it seems so unfair.

But, like Brianna, they give Hope. Hope that a cure will be found for whatever disease they are fighting. Hope that miracles do happen. Hope that others, outside of the T21 (and T18) will see the joy that a child with Down syndrome can bring to a family, and how precious, and valuable, and wanted their life is. Hope that, when all is said and done, there will be no more pain, and all tears will be wiped away by Jesus, our Savior.

After reading about Brianna last night, I couldn't help but run in and hug and kiss my sleeping babies, typical and chromosomally enhanced, and thank God for the precious gifts he has given to us. I pray that they remain healthy...but if they do not, I have Hope, and part of that hope came from Brianna.

2 comments:

  1. It's always good to have hope. Brianna's story touched my heart too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee -
    How did I miss mentioning Kennedy's name as one of those special children who inspire hope?! I definitely pray for her too -- giving thanks that she is on the other side and praying that she stays there! =)

    ReplyDelete