Monday, March 22, 2010

Below the Belt

The other day while we were outside playing, one of Charlie’s classmates walked by with his mom and brother (3) and sister (2 in May).

While the other mom and I were chatting, I could hear Charlie and his friend talking. They were comparing their dogs and bragging about whose dog is better…

C: ”Maggie is the shaggiest.”

K: “Well, Jack has really big teeth."

C: “Maggie is the fastest.”

K: “No, Jack is the fastest, and he has really big paws.”

…It went back and forth like this. I was getting a chuckle out of their banter, and was waiting for the , “Well, my dad can beat up your dad” comment. What I got, instead, was a comment that knocked the wind out of me temporarily. Charlie’s friend said, “Well, my sister and can walk, and yours can’t.”

Ugh! And I had just been doing a little celebration dance in my mind because she had just cruised the whole way around the pack-n-play.

In fairness to Charlie’s friend, he had no idea what he was saying or that it stung me so. They were just having fun, and he had no idea that Anna has Down syndrome or how old she is or anything like that. He had no idea what he was saying, and he definitely didn’t intend for it to be a mean comment. He was merely pointing out a difference.

Perhaps I should have taken the opportunity for some Ds awareness, but it just seemed like too deep of a conversation to get into at that point. Besides, he and Charlie were off and running before I could recover from the jab, anyway. I think it is because it took me off-guard that it affected me so.

His mother did apologize, and I let it go. But, man…that one was below the belt! =(

6 comments:

  1. Now, SEE what a good mom you are? I'd have grabbed the kid and whispered out of Charlie's earshot, "Yes. Anna can't walk. She's exhausted for most of the day. Because after nightfall, Anna has the ability to FLY."

    The whole encounter happened to a MUCH more sane and tactful mother. Anna and Charlie are both lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember...we only focus on the positives and that is that we don't have to CHASE our daughters around yet. Yes, we want them to walk so they will hit that milestone but then we want them to stop and remain our sweet babies even longer. Remember, we are blessed with getting to have "babies" longer than usual. I have no doubt that in the very near future, we will be complaining to each other about how crazy our lives are because Anna and Ella are in to EVERYTHING!!! By the way, I have recently done some shopping at Kohl's...have you? We need to make sure the girls have a couple of spring/summer outfits that match so you can do a really cool story about them again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy do we have to grow thick skins or what? I am proud of you for being so forgiving. I am sorry you had to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess he ran out of things to say and it was the quickest he could come up with. I like "ch"'s comment about flying. If I could, I probably would run after the boy and have a brief one on one with him about Ds. That's just me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't know, it always seems like a fine line. the boy had no idea what he was saying. like you said he was saying differences. the minute you have a conversation with the boy is the minute he will look at your daughter differently whereas now he probably doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine how frustrating that must have been for you! I want Chloe to walk so badly, but I was inspired by Denise's comment! She is so right! We get our babies a little bit longer. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete