Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Sister, Alicia May

Paige likes for me to read her a book before she takes her nap. She picks it out and gets into bed and waits for me to come read to her. Her current favorite book is My Sister, Alicia May.

Have you read it or seen it? It is a book about the relationship between two sisters...one who happens to have Down Syndrome. I think it gives a very accurate, yet positive, portrayal of the blessings and challenges that come with growing up with a sibling who has special needs.

I love this book, and I love reading it to Paige. I can picture Paige and Anna as these two girls in the book in a few years.

And the illustrations are incredible. Here is a picture of my favorite page in the book.

I am pretty sure that Paige does not understand that Anna is like Alicia May, in that they both have Down Syndrome. In fact, when I asked Paige if she knew that Anna was like the girl in the book, she said, "Yeah. Anna is cute is like Alicia May. And funny." But, I guess that is a good thing. She doesn't see Alicia May, or Anna, as special because they have Down syndrome, but because they are who God made them.

Anyway -- It's a great book and I recommend it!

8 comments:

  1. I loved the page you showed, it made me cry. I am going to go buy this book, it is beautiful and I have only seen that one page. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God is glad someone notices these things...

    Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this book. Love to see positive and accurate childrens books about ds. We will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny that you posted this. I was just at the library the other day and it was sitting on top of the kids bookshelf. I never would have found it or known about it. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I will have to find that book. The pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved what Paige said about comparing Anna to the girl in the book....that is the wonderful thing about family. You look past disabilities and just see the person...so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! Good timing today was a sad day for our kids. Talking about the NDSS having to take down the campaign posters because of hate groups taking them and mocking our children. So sad. BUT this is positive and good. Thanks for sharing. I will be adding this book to our home for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of our favorite books! The pictures are lovely! usually kids books have cartoonish characters with Down syndrome but this book is just absolutely perfect!
    And I choke up a little every time I read it :)

    ReplyDelete