Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

When you were growing up, did you ever say, "When I grow up, I am never going to be like my mom" -- or something along those lines?

I am pretty sure I did. And, in the end, I am pretty sure I am a whole lot more like my mom that I care to admit.

But, as I think about it, turning out to be like my mom is not such a bad thing. She is a strong, independent woman who can take care of herself. She is smart, and courageous, and an awesome cook! She is a woman who loves her family, and makes sacrifices to take care of them and make them happy.

Yes, if turning out to be like my mom means my kids will remember me and things that I do for them like I remember my mom, and the sacrifices she made for my and my sister's happiness, then I will have to say that being like my mom is the definitely the way to go.

There are two incidents that I remember from growing up that really puts my mom's love into perspective. There are others, but these two, specifically, come to mind.

The first was when we first moved to Kansas from Indiana. When we lived in Indiana, my sister and I played softball all summer long. We each played on about 3 different teams and travelled all over the place on weekends for tournaments. We loved softball, and were therefore, devasted when we moved to middle of nowhere Kansas (Liberal, for anyone familiar with the state) where there really was no youth softball program at the time. My mom hunted and searched, and finally found us a team to play on that was out of Dodge City, a mere 80 miles from Liberal. But, my mom would drive me up there twice a week for practice and then all over the state of Kansas for tournaments on the weekend. Seriously, I can't fathom the idea of driving my kids 20 miles for something that is unnecessary, let alone 80 miles.

The second incident that I remember is when we went shopping for my prom dress. Ok, the style when I was in high school (I am going to date myself) was really gaudy, brightly colored, full-length sequined gowns. The gown I fell in love with, which I am totally embarrassed by years later because it was this three-colored, full-length sequined gown, with one cap-sleeve and asymetrical hemline, was pretty expensive. But, my mom knew how important it was to me. So, she pulls out this roll of cash that she must have saving for awile, and pays for the dress. Then she gives me a little wink and tells me not to tell my father =) (Sorry Mom, secret's out!) I don't even know if thanked her at the time because I was such and arrogant teenager...so, thank you for the dress, Mom!

And, thank you for all the sacrifices you made for us. Thank you for always being at our all of games, concerts, banquets. Thank you for being class mom, and active in the Booster club. Thank you for hunting down and helping me fill out countless scholarship applications. Thank you for putting up with a bunch of whiny girl scouts on our camping trip. Thank you for making me come home from my slumber parties at 9 am to vaccuum (wait...I still think that was insane, but I am sure you had your reasons). Thank you for driving us all over the country for various events.

Thanks, Mom, for always putting me and Heather before your wants and needs. I am in your shoes now, and I know how hard that is.

Have a Happy Mother's Day! I love you and I thank God for you everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment