Sunday, May 30, 2010

We've Added Tools

Anna has been self-feeding herself with her fingers for about a year now, so I decided it was time to finally introduce some utensils.

We tried a couple of times with a spoon, but I couldn't stand the mess. So, I decided to move on to the fork where the food wasn't some form of sticky mess.

She is doing quite well. She knows what to do with the fork, she just has a little trouble getting the food onto the fork. Probably because she likes to hold the very tip of the handle instead of gripping it properly.

And, she seems very interested in using the fork (maybe because she likes banging it on her tray). She even protested when I took it away so she could finish eating before we had to leave.

My goal is to have her feeding herself well with a spoon and fork by the end of the summer. I am hoping that we can do some meals outside where I can just strip her down, and then hose off the deck (and her) after she makes a huge mess =)

10 comments:

  1. Great job Anna (LOVE the cheering section at the end of the video, siblings are awesome motivators aren't they?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a big girl! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is big stuff! She looks great with that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! She is so beautiful! How do you not just stare at her all of the time???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Anna...of course you continue to make me jealous with your eating. Maybe Ella will get it figured out while she is in the hospital. Got your darling photo card...you are so creative. Thanks!! It is already up on Ella's wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the "She got it!" except Anna could have cared less, actually she seemed quite bothered there was a piece of food that prevented her from banging the fork a little louder :)
    Typical for Nichole too!
    And could she be any sweeter? Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually got a little teary eyed when I heard "she got it!"...what a supportive sibling Anna has got! Thanks for your suggestion regarding the toy a little while back...I'm actually waiting until we are all moved and then will probably get it!

    How did you assist Anna with the self-feeding in the beginning? I'm still having some difficulties and wanted to see if you had any tips that we could try with Colin. Right now he has NO interest....

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWW, love the video but it was too short!!! Anna is doing very well with a fork. Em will eat the food from it but she can't manage to get anything on to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's doing great. My trick for eating with a fork is to put everything in a small plastic bowl so the food can't slide around too much. And sometimes I have to guide my little guy's hand and I say "poke" and we poke his food onto his fork. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I noticed you had Carissa Dawn as your littlest hero photographer- we're going to have her too! Do you live in PA??

    ReplyDelete