Saturday, July 17, 2010

Steps in the Right Direction

When we first found out that Anna has Down syndrome, my labor recovery nurse, who happened to have a 6-yr. old with Ds (I know -- didn't realize how lucky I was at the time), told us all about her daughter. She mentioned that her daughter didn't learn how to walk to until she was just about to turn 3. I think she must have heard my gasp, because she quickly added that she has known a number of children with Ds who started walking at about the same time as their typical peers. Regardless, 3-yrs. old was all I heard.

So, from the beginning, we knew that Anna would likely be delayed in learning to walk - no big deal. I was ready for that - or so I thought.

I have to admit that the whole walking thing frustrates me at times. I mean, of all the things that Anna could be having problems with, walking is really not that big of a deal. But, she is a beast to carry around, weighing in at 28 lbs. at her recent pre-op visit. (Seriously, she is 50% for height and weight for typical children - forget the Ds growth charts!) Fortunately, she eats well, sleeps well, and is overall very healthy. I certainly should be counting my blessings instead of whining. But sometimes it just feels good to have a pity party and then move on. (Break out the cheese -- here comes the Whine!)

I think part of my frustration stems from the fact that I frequently get asked if Anna is walking yet. I get tired of answering, "Nope. Not Yet. Can't even stand on her own, yet." I try to remain upbeat and positive about it, and I try to talk about all the new things she is doing. But even I wonder when is she going to start walking.

I know she will walk eventually. We just have to be patient, and persistent with her therapy. We have to continue trusting that God is in charge.

So, last week at therapy, you can imagine my joy when I saw Anna doing this! I think I have welled up in tears each time I watch it. Look at her little feet -- they are taking actual steps!


We still have a long way to go, but these are definitely steps in the right direction!

12 comments:

  1. WOO HOO for stepping forward Anna.
    Just think of those arms you have from carrying her...28 pounds wowie!
    I know it doesn't take the sting out of having to say no over and over when people ask though.
    Keep focusing on the positive. God knows the day she will walk...maybe it is tomorrow...can't wait to see when it is won't we celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! She looks great! She will get there, momma. I know what you mean, though. It's hard to be patient. Eon has been cruising around furniture for months, but try to get that kid to walk behind a push toy and he screams and fights to sit! I can't wait to see him walking around pushing something like Anna does. Hmmmm. Maybe I'll show him the video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like she'd push that chair all the way to RI as long as there is a little treat on top! I could eat her right up!!! she is well on her way to walking!!

    You know I feel the same way about Em's speech. physically she exploded at a young age and never looked back, but that speech is just moving so slow. I do get upset sometimes, like when we are out and someone asks how old she is. When they hear that she will be 2 in October, they automatically think she is talking. Then it's my turn to say, no not yet... But she will!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH, Anna!! Way to go:) It sure does get frustrating at times, but then we come to blog land and see these pics and videos of these AMAZING kiddos......you just can't help but appreciate these SMALL STEPS knowing how hard they have worked and how far they have come!! Everything always fall into perspective!! Anna is doing great, whatever will tomorrow bring??!! Keep up the good work, Anna:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori, I'm new to your blog and just have to tell you how precious your little Anna is! I also have a daughter with Ds, born 3/08, who isn't walking either...and I completely understand your frustration. I keep telling myself that it's on "her terms", not mine. Once they start walking, we'll be chasing! Way to go Anna...keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're in the same boat with Stephanie! LC's up and walking due, I believe, to her ability to channel the powers of Satan. In that scenario, Anna's delay is an excellent sign of the type of kid you've got. We're also learning to interpret the nuances of the "da da" syllable at our home, 'cause the kid won't talk...or sign...or do much other than roar like an ape. Right now, the same "da da" phrase is regularly utilized to mean about 27 different words.
    So we just try focusing on the positive...and complimenting ourselves on the fact that she has very perky piggie tails...and looks amazing in red mary janes...and figure the rest will fall into place eventually.
    And speaking of shoes...if those tennies of Anna's don't inspire walking, I don't think anything could! Way to go, Banana. You are a certified knockout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain. I feel the same way about Jack sitting up. I feel like we are never going to get there, but I know we will. Keep pluggin away. She is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Anna!! Looks like she is motivated by food, much like my Ella, I swear that kid will do anything if you feed her : ) I know this sounds bad but I SOOO miss the days when Ella wasn't walking. She is so much more work now!!! Anna will walk in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go Anna!! It sounds like that was just the encouragement you needed! She is going to be walking before you know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lori, that is so exciting! There are so many more great "steps" in her future!!

    ReplyDelete