Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Every Now and Then, They Get Something Right!

New Jersey is a messed up state in a lot of ways: outrageous property taxes, corruption, out of control budget, etc. Not to mention the shows Jersey Shore and The Real Housewives of New Jersey that many believe are accurate representations of the people in our state. 

But, this week, the people in Trenton finally got something right! This week, Governor Christie signed legislation that will eliminate the use of the term "mentally retarded" in reference to the disabled, and will replace the term with "intellectual disability" and "developmental disability".

(Read Article Here)

Now, I guess, New Jersey has two redeeming qualities...The elimination of the R-word, and you don't have to pump your own gas! =)

(For those of you wondering, all gas stations in NJ are full-service.  This is such a great thing. In fact, I have lived in NJ long enough that I almost forgot that in other states, I have to do it myself.  Recently, on vacation in Mass., I pulled into a gas station and sat in my car a good minute or two before I remembered that I have to actually get out and fill my own car. Ha! Ha!)

Anyway, so now Miss Fancy Pants is no longer "Mentally Retarded" (at least in NJ, anyway). She is now "Intellectually Disabled" -- just like the rest of us! =)

And, no matter how you want to describe her intellectual status, "Cutie Patootie" is about the only phrase that would accurately describe her physical status.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah for NJ! Hope that all the states follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo!! Great news! I'm in the middle of redoing some paperwork for Miss B and they still use the r-word...so I might just have to start writing letters to get it changed in my state too. :)

    And she is definately a cutie-patootie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for NJ!! I'm so not used to the pumping gas thing and Mike always tells me to go to Phillipsburg to get gas because it's cheaper and 1) it's a little out of the way and 2) I'm just not used to it! But man in the winter time I will be driving over that state line to get my gas LOL!

    Anna is so adorable, she looks older in this pic for some reason. Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH! That is awesome news. Love the full service gas stations! Like living in Mayberry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay NJ!! And YES, "Cutie Patootie" is absolutely fitting!!

    I had to chuckle about the gas thing, you just have to drive around to find the gas stations that DO pump your gas for you!! They actually DO exist in Mass, and I am actually lucky enough that one of them is right down the street from me!! Love that gas station in the winter!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cutie patootie is all that really counts and you hit the nail on the head with that! She is adorable!!!

    About the gas, well I've never ever filled my own gas (which is the case here in India) so just imagine what would happen to me if I ever had to, gosh thinking about it scares me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Are you the first state? I remember hearing that the literature was in the process of changing. I'm fairly certain that cutie-patootie would still fall as a clinical description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that photo, she looks so happy. And YEAH for NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWWW! I just saw your post about our visit. and the video of Anna walking!!! GREAT!!!

    We miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete