Sunday, December 12, 2010

Warm Up the Bus!

Anna is just over 2 1/2 yrs. old.  She will turn 3 on Friday, April 15, 2011.

She just started walking about 2 weeks ago. (And she is doing so well with walking now -- pretty much walks 90% of the time vs. crawling. But more on this later).

Anna is tiny. (Ok, she is actually pretty big for her age - and actually huge for a child her age with Down syndrome - but she is still tiny in my eyes.)

Anna doesn't talk. (Yet - we know it is coming...eventually.)

Anna is very much a Mama's girl.  She does not like it when I leave.

So, you can imagine my heart when I was told during our meeting with the local school representative that Anna will take a bus to pre-school starting in April.

I am having a hard time picturing it, and therefore, I am glad that I have 4 months to prepare myself for that day.  Anna has no clue that she is going to be going to school.  I just keep picturing the bus pulling up to our house, me putting her on the bus and waving good-bye.  And I can only imagine what will be going through her mind about where she is going and why Mommy isn't going with her.  Oh, what an adventure it will be!

Actually, though, we are very excited about the program that Anna will be entering. It sounds like they have a great program, and we have heard nothing but good things from other parents' whose children have been through the program.  She will get all her therapies at school in addition to "academics", and socialization and friends. =)

She will go to school 5 days/wk from 8:30-10:30.  Because the pre-school is located in the elementary school on the other side of town, she will take a bus to and from school.

They do have extended school year which runs for about 4 weeks in summer.

Anna will start in April, but not on her birthday.  Her birthday falls on a Friday, and the following week is our spring/Easter break. So, we will start her after that.

This year (Spring 2011), and next year (2011-2012), she, and the other 3-yr. olds will go from 8:30-10:30.  The following year (2012-2013) when she is 4, she will go from 10:30-2:30pm (still busing across town - which really isn't that far).  Then, when she is 5, and hopefully ready for kindergarten, she will be going to the same school as Charlie and Paige (no bus) 8:30-3:00 pm.

We have our next meeting, our "Eligibility Meeting", scheduled for Friday, January 7.  I thought her extra-chromosome made her a shoe-in, but apparently not. She still has to go through all the evaluations.

So, between now and April, I am going to have to some serious prepping for that inevitable day.  I wasn't teary for Charlie or Paige, but I am pretty sure the sight of Anna getting on the bus will just about do me in.

Warm up the bus!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it's hard for me to imagine cute little Anna riding a bus...but I think she will like it once she gets used to it. You guessed perfect on the pajama size, Emily does wear an 18 month...not sure if she will ever graduate to a 24 month...technically she doesn't even weight enough to be in an 18 month but she is tall enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. When we visited preschools in October I was already teary eyed thinking about my little wee one heading off into the big world. Glad it is a great program, she will flourish and love it as I know Alayna will too probably us mom's will have a harder time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I could have written this post.... 24 years ago!

    Beth was two when she took her first bus ride. The therapist that was coming to our house twice a week felt she would get more interaction at school. I couldn't put her on that huge bus! So for the first week, I drove her. Across town, but I didn't care! She got used to the classroom and the teacher. Then, step two, we put her on the bus.

    BETH. LOVED. IT. Oh my word. I was holding her the first time that bus came around the corner. She wiggled so hard I almost dropped her! She wanted down so she could get on that bus!

    I bet Anna is going to have a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does she HAVE to ride the bus? I know that we will have that option with Aubrey and I have heard of others who drove their kids for the first couple weeks just so that they could get used to one thing at a time and then moved them to the bus routine...something to think about or ask about:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. My son just turned two & I can't even think about leaving him at preschool, let alone taking a bus, without tearing up. Thank God I've got a year to prepare!!! He's my one & only baby & those apron strings are firmly attached!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete