Monday, October 15, 2012

Delayed Does Not Mean Canceled

More facts about Down syndrome...

All individuals with Down syndrome experience cognitive delays, but the effect is usually mild to moderate and is not indicative of the many strengths and talents that each individual possess. - ndss.org

Anna definitely has some developmental delays.  She didn't start (properly) crawling until she was 2, and didn't take her first unassisted steps until she was just over 2 1/2 yrs. Her speech is probably her biggest area of delay, and I think her lack of communication skills definitely affects other areas - including her behavior issues I have alluded to.

Though Anna has a speech delay, her receptive language skills, what she understands when we speak to her, are really quite developed.  She understands and can follow directions (when she wants to - the little bugger).  She recognizes and can label (via sign language) all her colors.  She responds to Dora's questions, and she can act out and "sing" the entire Barbie: A Perfect Christmas movie. (I really need to get a video of this - it is a riot!)  You can tell, there is a lot going on in Anna's head that she is unable to express through words...YET.

I say YET, because just because Anna has developmental delays, it does not mean those milestones will never be achieved.  In fact, I fully expect all her milestones to be reached...someday.  I expect her to be able to speak and for people to be able to understand her. I expect her to learn her alphabet and numbers. I expect her to learn to read and do math. I expect her to learn to ride a bike and tie her shoes. I expect her to learn how to swim.  I expect her to learn how to ski and join us on our yearly ski trip.  I expect her to graduate high school and get a job.   And...I expect her to learn acceptable behavior (because one day, cute will wear off).

I don't know when these things will happen. Anna seems to have her own timeline in that cute little head or hers. I am reminded of this verse from Acts 1:7 "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority." Well, Anna isn't God, but I am pretty sure they are in cahoots in regards to timing.  =)

I don't know when they will happen, but I expect them to happen, and know they can happen, if we keep working on them and not giving up because we think she can't do it.

Will it be easy?  Not at all! But that is why we have a fantastic team to help us.  Not only has God blessed us with the most supportive family and friends and church family, but Anna also has such a loving teacher and staff that are working hard to help her reach her full potential.   And, do they ever have to work hard!!

But as much trouble as she gives them, you can tell that she loves them even more!






Delayed does not mean canceled.  It just means the scenic route. It might get a little bumpy, and there will definitely be some crazy turns. The road might be a little longer, but the views will be breathtaking. So, sit back and enjoy the ride! =)

4 comments:

  1. "Because one day cute will wear off..." Gosh, I certainly hope not!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inspiring. I miss your family and pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! So true, so true. Still giggling over the cute will wear off...I say that about Alayna ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog...as always. I love reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete