Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Overheard

The other day, Charlie had a friend over.  The conversation I overheard went like this...

Friend:  Do you like your sisters?  

Charlie: Yeah, I guess.

Friend:  I like Anna.  She is so cute.

Charlie:  Yeah - she is really cute and snuggly.

Friend:  She is so cute I can hardly stand it!




Overheard one day at the park....

Little girl:  How old is your sister?

Paige: She is four.

Little girl:  She is four and still talks like a baby?

Paige:  Well, Anna has Down syndrome and she won't always talk like that.  Don't make fun of my sister.

Little girl: I am sorry.  What is Down syndrome?





I think a common concern that parents have when they first learn about their child having Down syndrome (or any disability, for that matter), is how will this affect our other kids?  I know it was a concern of ours.  We worried -- will the care that Anna requires take away from Charlie and Paige?  Will Charlie and Paige be made fun of for having a sister with special needs?  What happens when we are no longer here - Who will care for Anna?

It didn't take long for our fears to be calmed.  Charlie and Paige love Anna like there is no tomorrow.  They fight over who gets to sit next to her and who gets to get her up from her nap, etc.  They defend her and they want to cheer for her and support her.  She is a part of our family, and we would not be the same without her.


Having Anna as a part of our family doesn't mean we stopped living.  Check out some of the past posts of this blog if you need proof.  We still do all the fun things that other families do. Plus we get to do fun things like the Ds Christmas party, Special Olympics and the Buddy Walk.  Yes, there have been times when we haven't gone somewhere or didn't do something because we didn't want to take Anna.  But we didn't want to take Anna for the same reasons you wouldn't want to take a baby or a small child somewhere - not because she has Down syndrome.


Anna's presence in our family has not only changed us for the better, but it is changing and affecting people we meet everywhere.  And, two of her biggest voices are her brother and sister.



5 comments:

  1. Why do i have tears in my eyes!!!
    I love your kids!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am eating tortilla chips as I am reading this and literally almost choked because I got all choked up and teary eyed! I LOVE your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this...I agree always a concern how this will affect our other kiddos...when in reality it makes them more compassionate at a younger age... Max sees Maddie as his little sister and he knows she is perfect...all you have to do is ask him! He also stands up for Maddie always...I really like to hear those conversations...for some reason I am holding my breath when they happen...smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! What a fantastic big sis! And I love how she's teaching her friends such a valuable lesson that they'll take onwards with them as they grow and pass the same along to others. :-)

    ReplyDelete