Monday, July 21, 2014

Potty Training: The Saga (Part 3)

Warning: Gross potty talk to follow

So we have been in full potty training mode since April.  When I last updated, things were going pretty well and we were getting ready for our big road trip.

To sum things up - things are pretty crappy (pun intended).  

Actually, Anna is doing very well.  She only had one peeing accident on our road trip, and it was due to a miscommunication between my husband and I about when she last went.  Otherwise there have been no pee accidents in quite some time.

But -- the pooping is another story.  To make a long story short, Anna has constipation issues.  As per her doctor's instructions, we have been giving her Miralax to keep things soft and moving.  But, for anyone who has ever dealt with Miralax, you know that finding the right dosage is not easy.  Too little and it is ineffective. Too much and you get poop soup.

So we have been struggling to find that magic dosage for Anna. She will go weeks (yes weeks) at a time without pooping and this freaks me out so I up her dose. Then she will spend the next week just basically dripping poop all day long.  I know -- gross!

We were in that poop dripping stage as we started vacation, so I decided to nix the Miralax.  And we haven't given any since then -- so a full month now of no Miralax.  But she is still just dripping poop!  

I have no idea if Anna is able to control it, or if she is doing it on purpose.  Or is there something physically wrong with her plumbing that needs to be seen by a doctor?  I don't know, but I am so tired of changing her poopy underwear and  I know Anna is really tired of sitting on the potty. 

And to make matters worse, I can't take her swimming -- her all time favorite summer activity --  because I cannot guarantee that she will not poop in the pool.  :(

So, things are pretty frustrating right now, but we are trying to hang in there.

Please pray for some sort of potty training break through soon because I'm "pooped"!!

Anna swimming in Lake Huron.  We have to stick to lakes and oceans in case she poops :(

Update:  Oh the power of prayers!!  So, not more than 10 minutes after posting this, I went to check on Anna who I could still hear awake.  I walked in her room and she told me that she needed to go potty. So we sat on the potty (again) and she proceeded to poop...a lot!  I could tell she felt so much better -- but she screamed through the entire ordeal.
Anyway, the next day was much better. No messy underwear!  And after dinner (which is her normal time to poop) she proceeded to squeeze out a few nuggets.  
I am sure our poop drama is far from over, but hopefully things will calm down for a little while to give this momma a break!  

1 comment:

  1. She might have impacted stool. I would encourage you to take her to a doctor.

    ReplyDelete