Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Community

As I was growing up, my family moved around a lot...as in, I lived in 6 different states (7 different homes) by the time I was 12.  Jonathan's family was the same way - moving around every 2-3 years.

So, it is very strange to have been living in the same town and same house for almost 10 years now.

Every now and then Jonathan and I talk about moving. But, each time we abandon the conversation when we start to think about all the things we would be leaving behind.

One of those things is our community.  From our church family to neighbors, friends, and schools - we love our community.  We especially love how our community has embraced Anna.  They cheer for her, support her, and want to see her succeed as much as we do.

Anna started soccer today.  I was hesitant to sign her up - not knowing how she would behave, or not knowing how she would react at all.  But, a friend who was planning to coach encouraged me to sign her up so she could be on her team.
All ready for soccer practice!  
The first practice went about as I expected.  Anna was hesitant to join and was looking to do her own thing.  But with some encouragement from her two wonderfully energetic coaches, we finally got her out there....And she did great!!


There was some screaming and fussing, and she tired out quickly. (And she is still suffering with her bowel issues - which I think was a huge part of her crankiness tonight.) But, she had a huge smile on her face at the end, and as I was tucking her into bed she said, "Soccer!" with a big smile.  I call that a success!

Through all the screaming, etc. that she did, though, I didn't feel embarrassed or judged or out of place. Instead I felt supported and encouraged to have Anna included. (We'll see how the rest of the season goes -- it was only the first practice after all -- lol!)

So, thank you to our friends, neighbors, teachers, coaches, and church for being such a great support to us.  God has blessed us abundantly!!
Anna and Daddy at one of our favorite community events - TSA night!
And speaking of supporting, we have a fun Down Syndrome Awareness event in the works for October that I will posting about soon. Be sure to check back for details!

1 comment: